During the past fiscal year of First Steps work, and in particular over the last three months (since Sept. 2007), the staff has identified (collectively) the following 3 items listed below as central to our organization development goals during the forthcoming year. A brief description and financial estimate for each objective is listed below:
Principal Project Goals for 2008:
1. Acquire a van for transporting Rocinha’s (special-needs) population.
1. Handicapped equipped vans currently available in Rocinha = 0
2. Planned acquisition of van by First Steps:
i. New Van (Handicapped Equipped): 20,000 USD
ii. Used Van (Operational for Handicapped Transport): 5,000 USD
2. Acquire/Secure Office Space for First Steps:
1. Annual Rent for street level storefront office space in Rocinha: 7,500 USD
2. Annual Costs of Supplies and Equipment for office space in Rocinha
i. Telephone, Internet, and Electric: 3,000 USD
ii. General Offices Supplies: Paper, Printer, etc: 1,500 USD
3. Maintain an ongoing Emergency Assistance Fund for Rocinha’s most vulnerable disabled/elderly residents.
Transportation Expenses (to and from medical appointments): Projected Annual Expense: 2,500 USD
Medication and Medical Supplies: to cover costs of medication that many families cannot afford but vitally need and/or to cover costs for necessary medical equipment they similarly need but cannot afford; for example, wheelchairs (second-hand), orthopedic devices, oxygen tanks, etc. Projected Annual Expense: 3,000 USD
Construction and home-repair materials for First Steps clients/members whose houses (shanties) are in desperate need of emergency repair, such as; leaks, crumbling infrastructure, insufficient running water and/or electricity, etc. Projected Annual Expense: 2,000 USD